Application Deadline: October 2nd, 2015
Pay: Starts at $13/hr (Work study applicants encouraged to apply, but work-study is not required)
The University of California, Santa Barbara is collaborating with a California State University campus to organize the 15th Annual CA Higher Education Sustainability Conference and is looking for motivated students to help organize, market, and raise funds for this event. This year we are expecting approximately 1,000 attendees representing California Community Colleges, California State Universities, University of California campuses, and private colleges and universities. The conference is committed to modeling the changes which are discussed at the event. Conference topics include best practices in the area of energy, food systems, green building (new construction and operations maintenance and renovations), building and operating green healthcare facilities, institutionalizing sustainability and climate action planning, procurement and business services, research and curriculum, social equity, student affairs, transportation, waste reduction and recycling, water and more.
Benefits of becoming a conference intern:
• Network with professionals in green building and sustainability throughout the internship;
• Gain professional experience in fundraising, event coordination, marketing, and professional writing;
• Learn how to assess and reduce the environmental impact of an event;
• Receive weekly mentoring by a sustainability professional;
• Receive weekly mentoring by a fundraising and marketing professional;
• Attend regular trainings on sustainability and event management; and
• Collaborate with professionals and student activists throughout the state.
Responsibilities of Interns:
The interns hired for the conference will work as a team in coordination with full-time sustainability and event management staff to implement the conference. Generally interns will participate in fundraising, marketing, and event coordination (including green event planning); and will assist CHESC Event Manager in implementing the event.
Interns are not expected to have prior experience in the tasks listed below. Our team is excited to train students in their role(s). Please see requirements at the end of the posting for prior experience and skills that we expect the interns to come to the internship with.
Specific tasks will include:
• Identify new potential exhibitors and sponsors through internet searches and contacting committee members for their recommendations;
• Assist in preparation of written illustrations and analyses to prospective exhibitors and sponsors (via Microsoft Office suite);
• Recruit companies to exhibit at the event and/or to sponsor (via phone and email);
• Solicit in-kind donations;
• Support students attending the event to fundraise on their campuses;
• Act as a point of communication for conference speakers;
• Staff committees (facilitation, scheduling, taking meeting minutes, managing the committee timeline and ensuring the committee stays on task);
• Collect and organize presentation materials from speakers and committees;
• Collaborate with workshop hosts to organize pre and post conference events (opportunity to lead event management for half to full day event);
• Collaborate with students around the state to develop a full day-student focused networking and skill sharing event (post-conference student convergence);
• Coordinate volunteers;
• Develop a waste management plan for the conference;
• Promote carpooling and the use of alternative transportation;
• Review greening goals; update and establish metrics for tracking greening goals; and
• Research best practices that other events are using to be more sustainable.
• Develop targeted outreach lists of key stakeholders throughout the state;
• Build coalitions with key organizations and campuses;
• Create and maintain social media sites related to the conference (blog, twitter, facebook, myspace, flikkr, etc.)
• Update website through a content management system (easy to learn for non-tech folks)
Student interns will have the opportunity to have their work reviewed and edited through peer review and staff mentors and will become a reviewer themselves.
• Draft content for conference website, invitation letters, fundraising requests, and scripts for phone pitches;
• Draft and edit conference program; and
• Document successes and lessons learned for future event organizers to learn from.
• Interest in fundraising;
• Interest in event coordination and marketing;
• Strong communication skills and a professional demeanor;
• Creativity and confidence in approaching new tasks that are unfamiliar to the candidate;
• Curiosity and willingness to learn on the job;
• Strong writing and editing skills;
• Ability to work independently as well as in groups;
• Dedicated to the ideals of Sustainability;
• Experience with detail-oriented work and multi-tasking;
• Must be available to fulfill internship position from Mid October through July 31st, 2015;
• Must be a registered UC Santa Barbara student from Fall 2015 through Spring 2015 and not going abroad (it is ok to graduate in June and still participate through July);
• Must be available to work 10-15hrs/wk throughout internship tenure; and
• Must be available to work approximately 8hrs/day during the week of the conference (mid July) and be based in southern California throughout that week (we will pay for housing and travel). The specific conference location will be announced in October, but the most likely candidate is a city in the LA region.
Preferred, but not required
• Experience with marketing (especially through social media), fundraising, or event coordination; and
• Knowledge of sustainability from coursework or experience.
For more information on our event, please visit our past conference websites:
2009 and prior years: http://sustainability.ucsb.edu/conference/past-conferences.php
For more information on statewide sustainability initiatives, please visit:
California State University: http://www.calstate.edu/cpdc/sustainability/
University of California: http://www.universityofcalifornia.edu/sustainability/
California Community Colleges: http://tinyurl.com/2vpjo7f
UC/CSU/IOU Energy Efficiency Partnership: http://www.uccsuiouee.org/
CCC/IOU Energy Efficiency Partnership: http://cccutilitypartnership.com/
Instructions to Apply
Please read and follow the below instructions carefully.
- Review the internship posting;
- Review the links listed above to give you a sense of the background on the event and organizing partners; and
- Send the following documents to Conference Event Manager, Katie Maynard at firstname.lastname@example.org. The subject line of your email should read “CHESC2016 – Internship Application – Your Last Name”. Applications will only be accepted in electronic form and must be submitted by October 2nd.
- Cover Letter
- Class Schedule for Fall 2015 (tentative schedule is fine)
Questions may also be directed to Ms. Maynard via email. Please make sure all emails include a clear subject line.
You can also read about our other currently available internships at: http://www.sustainability.ucsb.edu/internship-opportunities-ucsb-sustainability/