This position is currently closed. Please visit: http://www.sustainability.ucsb.edu/internship-opportunities-ucsb-sustainability/ to see our currently open positions
Hours Per Week: 10-15 Hrs.
Preferred start date: Immediate
Commitment date: Could either be just Spring 2018 or Spring 2018 through June 2019
Primary Department: UCSB Sustainability
ECOalition is a coalition of student-run organizations who work on environmental issues at UCSB. There are currently approximately 30 student environmental groups participating in ECOalition. The organization creates spaces for student groups to share information and collaborate. The organization also helps to ensure that the student voice is heard on issues related to the environment through the passing of resolutions and by being a facilitator and occasional liaison between the student leaders and the campus administration. ECOalition also maintains a list of the current leadership of student-run organizations on campus working on the environment and maintains outreach tools to help communicate to the broader student body about the many opportunities for students to be involved in the environmental movement.
The ECOalition Coordinator will foster relationships with campus student organizations, staff, and administration within UCSB. This is a role that requires building a rapport with many stakeholders. Further responsibilities include:
- Establishing and maintaining relationships with student leaders as well as campus administration.
- Maintaining regular face-to-face contact with student organizers by attending general and one-on-one meetings.
- Staying up-to-date on sustainability-related projects, campaigns, and initiatives.
- Helping foster collaborations among student environmental organizations.
- Facilitating ECOalition council and townhall meetings.
- Generate discussion of ideas among organizations that better the environmental community within UCSB.
- Maintaining a database of ECOalition organizations and members.
- Acting as an informational resource for environmental organizations on campus.
- Support UCSB Sustainability’s communication team by ensuring all student environmental events are posted to the UCSB Sustainability calendar.
- Use wordpress (a content management system) to update the ECOalition website. No prior experience necessary.
- Be responsive to the needs of student environmental organizations and what their hopes are for ECOalition in the coming year.
Please note that priorities and actions of the ECOalition are determined by member groups rather than the UCSB Sustainability Program or the ECOalition Coordinator. This is a support role meant to empower student organizations from across the campus.
- Effective interpersonal communication skills;
- Ability to develop relationships with diverse stakeholders;
- Good with professional communication;
- Experience with community building;
- Comfortable facilitating meetings;
- Strong writing and editing skills;
- Good note-taking skills; and
- Must be a UCSB student.
- Knowledge of sustainability.
- Experience with coalition building.
- Experience with student organizations on campus.
Please read all of the instructions for this program and the job posting carefully in order to ensure that you have the best chance of being selected. Submit a resume and cover letter describing your interest in the position to email@example.com by the deadline at the top of this posting. If you are eligible for work-study, please note this in the cover letter. Work-study is not required, but is preferred. If you no longer have work study for this year, but are likely to have it next fall, please let us know that as well.
UCSB Career Services offers support and advising in writing résumés. Please consider taking advantage of their generous services, especially if this is the first time you have written a résumé.
Please ensure that when you apply the subject line of your email and your email body indicate clearly that you are applying for the “ECOalition”. We have several positions currently open ranging across multiple programs.
For More Information
Please email Katie Maynard, firstname.lastname@example.org after having read the above information thoroughly.
Please also note that we have several other positions available as well, please see the full list at: http://www.sustainability.ucsb.edu/internship-opportunities-ucsb-sustainability/.