Gaucho Farmers Market Coordinator Position Now Open
Open Position – Gaucho Farmers Market Graduate Student Coordinator
Hours: 15hrs/wk with 10:30-2:30 required on Wednesdays. All other hours are flexible.
Position Starts October, 2016
The Gaucho Certified Farmers Market is an avenue for staff, students, faculty, and the local community to access fresh, locally grown produce and artisan goods. We bring together all facets of sustainability, helping to educate the UCSB community on healthy eating and living.By defining “local” as anything grown or produced in the Tri-County area (Santa Barbara, Ventura, San Luis Obispo), the market acts as a platform to promote the rich bounty of the Central Coast. Farmers and artisans offer fresh goods for sale and educate and provide insight into sustainable food production. We also invite local non-profit organizations along with student, staff, and faculty groups to table with information on a variety of ways to be sustainable. Position responsibilities
- Run the weekly market, Wednesdays from 11am – 2pm
- Promote and advertise the weekly market
- Oversee student volunteers and paid interns
- Expand the number of farmers participating in weekly market
- Assist with maintaining the budget for the market
- Work with on-campus and off-campus groups to promote sustainable food systems
- Apply for and manage SNAP/Cal-Fresh benefits to be accepted in exchange of produce at the market
- Project management experience
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Experience working with multiple stakeholders
- UCSB student
- Live in the Santa Barbara area
- Outgoing personality
- Curiosity and a willingness to learn on the job
- Ability to work independently as well as in groups
- Dedicated to the ideals of sustainability
- Experience with detail-oriented work and multitasking
- Graduate student
- Previous experience working with farmers
- Relevant coursework in sustainable food systems
Applicants will be reviewed as they are received and are due by Monday, September 26th, 2016. Instructions to Apply Please read and follow the below instructions carefully.
- Send the following items in one concise document to Roane Akchurin at email@example.com. The subject line of your email should read “GauchoFarmersCoord_S16 _ Internship Application _Your Last Name”. Applications will only be accepted in electronic form, preferably Word or PDF. Applicants will be reviewed as they are received.
- Cover letter
- Two references (names, phone numbers, emails)
Questions may also be directed to Jewel Snavely via email: firstname.lastname@example.org Please make sure all emails include a clear subject line.