This position is currently closed. Please visit: http://www.sustainability.ucsb.edu/internship-opportunities-ucsb-sustainability/ to see our currently open positions
First priority will go to work-study applicants, but all students are welcome to apply.
The UCSB Academic Senate Sustainability Work Group has been developing a proposal for a new general education requirement for environmental and sustainability courses. Currently between 91% and 93% of freshmen-entry students graduating from UCSB from Summer 2009 to Spring 2014 took at least one course related to the environment or sustainability. This initiative will help us address that last 10%, will ensure transfer students also meet this expectation, and it will set a precedent for other campuses to reach for.
Through this campaign, we hope to ensure that every student at UC Santa Barbara is ecologically literate when they graduate and has an understanding of how the environment relates to their future careers or studies.
The student selected for this position, will collect petition signatures from students who support this initiative and will do educational activities to raise student awareness about the effort. The student will participate in meetings of the Academic Senate Sustainability Work Group, a faculty group that is leading this effort. In these meetings, they will help move the proposal forward to the Academic Senate (the faculty governance body).
This student will be supervised by Katie Maynard, Sustainability Coordinator and staff to the Academic Senate Sustainability Work Group. The student will have weekly one hour advising meetings with Katie and ongoing mentorship outside of meetings.
8-10 hrs/wk during Fall 2015 and Winter 2016; Opportunities available to extend to Spring 2016 based on the selected intern’s interest and campaign timeline.
- Tabling at events and in key locations on campus such as the arbor
- Brief presentations at the beginning of classes (class raps)
- Presentations at student organization meetings
- Door-to-door canvassing
- Workshops and educational events
- Other outreach activities
- Participate in committee meetings of the Academic Senate Sustainability Work Group
- Strong writing and editing skills.
- Strong professional communication skills.
- Good Public Speaker.
- Must be a UCSB student and not abroad in the Fall 2015 and Winter 2016 quarters. Opportunities are available to extend the internship in Spring 2016 dependent on interest and campaign timeline.
- Must be able to work 8-10 hrs/week.
- Familiarity with sustainable practices.
Please read these instructions carefully. Any applicants that do not follow the instructions will not be eligible for the position. Applications are due September 8th, 2015 by 5:00pm (PST). Interviews will be in mid-September. Interviews can be conducted via the phone or GoToMeeting for students that aren’t in Santa Barbara over the summer.
All applicants must submit the required three documents (see below) in order to be considered. All documents must be in Microsoft Word or Adobe PDF. Documents in Google docs, pages, text, or any other format will not be considered. Documents should be sent to: firstname.lastname@example.org .
The required three documents include:
- Cover letter (Check out Career Services’ tips on writing cover letters and résumés).
- Résumé (Check out Career Services’ tips on writing cover letters and résumés)
- Your Fall Class schedule (A tentative schedule is fine)
UCSB Career Services offers support and advising in writing cover letters and résumés. Please consider taking advantage of their generous services, especially if this is the first time you have written a résumé or cover letter.
Please ensure that when you submit your documents the subject line of your email and your email body indicate clearly that you are applying for the “General Education” Internship.
If you have any questions about the program, position(s), other internship opportunities, or the application process, please contact Katie Maynard email@example.com 805-448-5111. Please make sure you have read through the posting thoroughly before contacting Katie.
Please also note that we have several other internships open, which can be seen at: http://www.sustainability.ucsb.edu/internship-opportunities-ucsb-sustainability/