Position open until filled
The Interactive Campus Map (ICM), a project of the UCSB Department of Geography, is an online tool that allows users to understand and engage with the campus in a new spatially-oriented way. Some of the many features of the map will include advanced way-finding, accessibility elements, time-aware layers (what cafés are open on campus now?), and of course sustainability. The sustainability layers of the map will include points of interest (green buildings, garden locations, bioswales), real-time energy data, and even a neat tool where you can find the closest hydration station for filling your water bottle or electronic recycling bin for those old batteries.
Data Collection Intern
UCSB Sustainability Internship Program within the Department of Geography
This is an unpaid position. Academic credit is available for eligible candidates.
The Data Collection Intern will be primarily responsible for contacting campus stakeholders who are working on or knowledgeable about ongoing sustainability efforts and asking them for photographic and written descriptions of projects that could be spatially mapped on the campus. This is a great position for a student who would like to interview sustainability professionals and learn about the variety of sustainability efforts on the campus. The intern does not need to be familiar with any mapping software, however applications with experience in GIS will be able to take the project even further.
- Contact stakeholders to collect information about campus sustainability demonstration sites.
- Interview campus stakeholders about which sites to include and what the key points to highlight in the map descriptions are.
- Review full reports and press releases on sustainability efforts and synthesize reports/releases into short blurbs that can be easily posted in a pop-up box on the map.
- Take photographs of key sustainability sites. Prior photography experience is not required and a camera will be available for your use.
- Clear and engaging professional communication skills.
- Ability to represent the program professionally in interactions with key stakeholders.
- Ability to read full length reports and synthesize the information effectively.
- Strong writing and editing skills.
Preferred, but Not Required or Expected
- Experience with photography
- Experience with ArcGIS
Please read these instructions carefully. Any applicants that do not follow the instructions will not be eligible for the positions.
This position will be open until filled. Applicants who submit their documents earlier will be considered more favorably. All documents must be in Microsoft Word or Adobe PDF. Documents in pages, text, or any other format will not be considered. Documents should be sent to: firstname.lastname@example.org .
The required two documents include:
- Cover Letter (Check out Career Services’ tips on writing cover letters and résumés).
- Resume (Check out Career Services’ résumés and cover letters)
UCSB Career Services offers support and advising in writing cover letters and résumés. Please consider taking advantage of their generous services, especially if this is the first time you have written a résumé or cover letter.
Please ensure that when you submit your two documents the subject line of your email and your email body indicate clearly that you are applying for the “ICM Data Collection” Internship.
If you have any questions about the program, position(s), other internship opportunities, or the application process, please contact Katie Maynard email@example.com 805-448-5111. Please make sure you have read through the posting thoroughly before contacting Katie.