Laboratory Sustainability Coordinator
Closed for new applications.
Hours Per Week: 10-12 Hrs.
Preferred start date: Summer 2017 (Fall may be possible)
Commitment date: Must be available to participate through June 2018
Primary Department: UCSB Sustainability
Work-study students are encouraged to apply, though participation in the work-study program is not a requirement for applicants. We realize that most students will not be certain if they are work-study eligible until later in the summer. More information on work-study here.
Description of the Internship:
Student interns in the LabRATS Program assist laboratories by identifying ways that they could improve the environmental impact of their research operations. Students will visit researchers in a wide variety of departments, learning about instrumentation and experimentation in diverse fields of study.
LabRATS prides itself on working on the weird problems – Can you compost Agar? What is the most energy efficient fly incubator? How could you run an autoclave with less water? If you are someone who likes applying your knowledge to new and interesting problems, this program is for you!
This intern will provide general support to the LabRATS program and assist with several new and expanding programs. In addition to laboratory assessments, interns in our program will compare laboratory equipment to identify the most efficient models, encourage laboratories to use more water efficient methodologies and equipment, and explore options for recycling atypical materials such as laboratory gloves.
Specific responsibilities include:
- Communicating sustainability information to researchers. This may include presentations at scheduled meetings or seminars , and door to door lab visits;
- Creating guidebooks and web content to communicate sustainability policies, practices, and resources as they relate to researchers;
- Energy metering of laboratory equipment;
- Research into alternative laboratory methodologies and practices; and
- Evaluating laboratory practices through assessments. This is something you will be trained on the job for and are not expected to know how to do in advance.
The students will meet with a project advisor at least once a week for consistent and ongoing mentorship and one on one training. In addition this, the selected student will frequently meet with professional staff in the field, faculty with expertise in this area, student leaders, and other campus and community stakeholders to receive feedback and further guidance.
- Independent thinker capable of collaborating to design and implement programs and practices;
- Must be pursuing either a major or minor in the natural sciences, engineering, or pursing a BS in Environmental Studies at UCSB;
- Has taken at least one laboratory class or worked/volunteered in a research lab;
- Strong writing and editing skills;
- Comfortable reading and synthesizing published research articles;
- Diplomatic and open-minded;
- Strong note-taking skills; and
- Strong professional communication skills.
Preferred, but Not Required or Expected
- Further experience in a laboratory setting.
- Proficiency with technical writing.
Please read all of the instructions for this program and the job posting carefully in order to ensure that you have the best chance of being selected. Submit a resume and cover letter describing your interest in the position to firstname.lastname@example.org by April 17th, 2017.
UCSB Career Services offers support and advising in writing résumés. Please consider taking advantage of their generous services, especially if this is the first time you have written a résumé.
Please ensure that when you apply the subject line of your email and your email body indicate clearly that you are applying for the “LabRATS”. We have several positions currently open ranging across multiple programs.
For More Information
Please email Katie Maynard, email@example.com after having read the above information thoroughly.
Please also note that we have several other positions available as well, please see the full list at: http://www.sustainability.ucsb.edu/internship-opportunities-ucsb-sustainability/.