Green Office Certification Coordinator
Application Deadline: April 22nd, 2017
Hours Per Week: 10-12 Hrs.
Preferred start date: Summer or Fall 2017
Commitment date: Must be available to participate through June 2018
Primary Department: UCSB Sustainability
Work-study students are encouraged to apply, though participation in the work-study program is not a requirement for applicants. We realize that most students will not be certain if they are work-study eligible until later in the summer. More information on work-study here.
Description of the Internship:
Student interns in the PACES Program assist departments across campus by identifying ways that they could improve their environmental impact, celebrating success stories of resource conservation, and informing campus staff and faculty of sustainability policies relevant and resources available to them. This internship creates an opportunity for students to think creatively as they partner with campus staff and faculty to develop innovative solutions to sustainability challenges. This position primarily includes work on the computer, interviews with campus staff, oral presentations, and site visits to campus departments to investigate their practices.
- Complete assessments of the sustainability practices of departments including waste, energy, and water auditing. Applicants will be trained in how to do this on the job;
- Document existing sustainable practices of departments;
- Research potential new practices that could be implemented;
- Partner with departmental stakeholders to brainstorm solutions to current environmental challenges; and
- Inform departmental staff, students, and faculty about policies, resources, and best practices in office sustainability.
PACES (the Program for the Assessment and Certification for the Environment and Sustainability) recognizes departmental leadership in campus sustainability and assists departments in identifying new opportunities where they can further reduce their impact on the environment. Through hands on experience within a business team setting, the PACES program guides interns on implementing sustainable practices to UCSB departments and office spaces through team collaboration, sustainability policy development, and auditing (energy and waste auditing for example). Ultimately, the PACES program goal is to reduce the environmental impact of departments on campus as well as to promote sustainable policies and protocols that will meet our future climate action and sustainability goals.
The students will meet with a project advisor at least once a week for consistent and ongoing mentorship and one on one training. In addition this, the selected student will frequently meet with professional staff in the field, faculty with expertise in this area, student leaders, and other campus and community stakeholders to receive feedback and further guidance.
- A current UCSB student;
- Independent thinker capable of collaborating to design and implement programs and practices;
- Strong writing and editing skills;
- Diplomatic and open-minded;
- Strong note-taking skills;
- Professional in verbal communications; and
- Familiarity with sustainable practices.
Preferred, but Not Required or Expected:
- Knowledge of environmental issues, green building practices, or sustainability through academic, personal pursuit, or past internships.
Please read all of the instructions for this program and the job posting carefully in order to ensure that you have the best chance of being selected. Submit a resume and cover letter describing your interest in the position to email@example.com by the deadline at the top of this posting.
UCSB Career Services offers support and advising in writing résumés. Please consider taking advantage of their generous services, especially if this is the first time you have written a résumé.
Please ensure that when you apply the subject line of your email and your email body indicate clearly that you are applying for the “PACES”. We have several positions currently open ranging across multiple programs.
For More Information
Please email Katie Maynard, firstname.lastname@example.org after having read the above information thoroughly.
Please also note that we have several other positions available as well, please see the full list at: http://www.sustainability.ucsb.edu/internship-opportunities-ucsb-sustainability/.