Current Projects and Collaborations
• IEE – Solar Cells: At UC Santa Barbara, research based on the Nobel-Prize winning discoveries of Alan. J. Heeger is directed toward developing solar cells that can be painted, printed and mass-produced like newspapers or even woven into clothing.
• IEE – Storage: The objectives are to develop new materials that overcome the power density and stability limitations faced by existing state-of-the-art materials in the conversion and storage of electrochemical energy. Emphasis is focused on fuel cells, lithium and ion flow batteries, and ultracapacitors and electrodes.
• IEE – Thermoelectronics: Institute researchers are modifying materials to improve their thermoelectric performance.
Individuals ( * indicates affiliation with IEE)
• Guillermo Bazan, Chemistry: Organometallics for cheap solar cells, design of catalysts to convert petroleum feedstocks into useful organic intermediates.
• Ted Bergstrom*, Economics: Energy policy and economics; IEE Economics & Policy Solutions Group
• Steven Buratto*, Chemistry: Nanoparticles and chemicals in the environment; IEE Production & Storage Solutions Group
• Michael Chabinyc*, Engineering: Materials for flexible electronics and energy storage and conversion; IEE Production & Storage Solutions Group
• Bradley Chmelka*, Engineering: Energy efficient chemical engineering; IEE Production & Storage Solutions Group
• Peter Ford, Chemistry: New methodologies for the conversion of renewable resources, such as biomass, to fuels and more chemical precursors
• Glenn Fredrickson*, Chemical Engineering: Energy efficient computing; IEE Production & Storage Solutions Group
• Deborah Fygenson, Physics: Biophysics; biomaterials
• Arthur Gossand*, Computer Science: Energy efficient computing and engineering
• Craig Hawker*, Chemistry & Biochemistry:
• Alan Heeger*, Physics: Light emission from semiconducting polymers, including photoluminescence, light-emitting diodes, light-emitting electrochemical cells, and lasers. Solving climate change with innovative technologies. IEE Production & Storage Solutions Group.
• William Kaska, Chemistry: Carbon dioxide capture and hydrocarbon modification for use as energy
• Charles Kolstad, Economics/ Bren: Environmental economics and its role in climate change and energy markets
• Gary Leal*, Chemical Engineering: Energy efficient production and storage; IEE Production & Storage Solutions Group
• Melvyn Manalis, Environmental Studies: Integrated energy planning; industrial ecology; green nuclear energy
• Eric Matthys, Engineering: Alternative energy engineering – biofuels, concentrated solar cells
• Eric McFarland, Engineering: Combinatorial chemistry to investigate new photocatalytic systems for energy production
• Horia Metiu*, Chemistry: Energy efficient production and storage; IEE Production & Storage Solutions Group
• Thuc-Quyen Nguyen, Chemistry: Organic photovoltaics
• George Odette*, Engineering: Energy efficient production and storage;IEE Production & Storage Solutions Group
• Eric Smith, Political Science: Environmental politics, public opinion, and elections, toward offshore oil development, nuclear power, wind power, energy crises, and climate change.
• Frank Spera, Earth Science: Magma dynamics; properties of magmas; volcanology and geomaterials; geothermal and hydrothermal studies
• Galen Stucky, Chemistry & Biochemistry: Research focuses on the design, synthesis and characterization of new materials with an emphasis on understanding interface and nucleation chemistry. Research also includes biomimiciry, photovoltaics, and methane conversion.
• Sangwon Suh, Bren: Research includes how materials and energy are extracted from nature, life-cycle analysis of materials.
• Theofanis Theofanous, Engineering: Risk assessment and management in complex technological and environmental systems.
• Richard Watts, Chemistry: Utilization of solar energy for production of chemical fuels.
• Frank Wudl*, Chemistry: Plastic solar cells; energy efficient production and storage; IEE Production & Storage Solutions Group
• Francis Zok*, Engineering: Energy efficient production and storage; IEE Production & Storage Solutions Group
Print This Page