STARS Data Collection and Analysis Intern
Focus on Academics, Research, and Student Engagement
Hours: 10-12 hours/week
Start date: ASAP
Internship Duration: This position will end in March 2018
Applications due: Closed to new applicants
The Sustainability Tracking, Assessment & Rating System™ (STARS) is a transparent, self-reporting framework for colleges and universities used to measure their sustainability performance. UCSB Sustainability seeks a student to collect data on courses and research related to sustainability and student programming. 838 colleges and universities have registered for STARS. Complete reports can be found here. Please note that all UCSB students are automatically STARS members and if you login with your umail address (or any address ending in “ucsb.edu” you can unlock all the member only information).
- Email faculty and request information about their courses and research;
- Organize large data sets such as these excel lists of courses and research on campus;
- Meet with faculty to interview them about their courses;
- Email student services and student organizations to learn about co-curricular programming;
- Draft language to use on the STARS reporting website;
- Engage STARS collaborators in meaningful dialogue on how to report accurately;
- Document data collected, sources of data, and verifications;
- Engage in statewide conference calls with other campuses reporting to STARS; and
- Develop a document detailing why any points not achieved were not achieved and what UCSB could do to do better in future years.
- Professional in written and verbal communications;
- Ability to engage in critical dialogue about whether suggested programs meet specified criteria;
- Creativity in thinking outside of the box and finding new and innovative ways to meet credit criteria;
- Ability to manage multiple concurrent projects at the same time;
- Comfortable engaging with staff and faculty;
- Good at time management;
- Diplomatic and openness to consider multiple perspectives on a given issue; and
- Knowledge of sustainability;
- Extensive experience with Excel; and
- Experience reading and evaluating peer-reviewed articles
Please read all of the instructions for this program and the job posting carefully in order to ensure that you have the best chance of being selected. Submit a resume and cover letter describing your interest in the position to Katie Maynard email@example.com by the application deadline at the top of this posting.
UCSB Career Services offers support and advising in writing résumés. Please consider taking advantage of their generous services, especially if this is the first time you have written a résumé.
Please ensure that when you apply the subject line of your email and your email body indicate clearly that you are applying for the “STARS Intern”. We have several positions currently open ranging across multiple programs.
For More Information
Please email Katie Maynard, firstname.lastname@example.org after having read the above information thoroughly.