This position is currently closed. Please visit: http://www.sustainability.ucsb.edu/internship-opportunities-ucsb-sustainability/ to see our currently open positions
Due date: October 2nd, 2015
Start date: Mid October
Pay: $13/hr (Work study applicants encouraged to apply though work-study is not a requirement)
The Sustainability Tracking, Assessment & Rating System™ (STARS) is a transparent, self-reporting framework for colleges and universities to measure their sustainability performance.
STARS is intended to engage and recognize the full spectrum of colleges and universities—from community colleges to research universities, and from institutions just starting their sustainability programs to long-time campus sustainability leaders. STARS encompasses long-term sustainability goals for already high-achieving institutions as well as entry points of recognition for institutions that are taking first steps toward sustainability. STARS is designed to:
- Provide a framework for understanding sustainability in all sectors of higher education.
- Enable meaningful comparisons over time and across institutions using a common set of measurements developed with broad participation from the campus sustainability community.
- Create incentives for continual improvement toward sustainability.
- Facilitate information sharing about higher education sustainability practices and performance.
- Build a stronger, more diverse campus sustainability community.
Almost 600 campuses have participated in STARs throughout the country, including UC Santa Barbara and we are re-submitting this year. Our latest report is available here.
Assessment Intern, STARS Program
UCSB Sustainability Internship Program
- Collect data on courses related to sustainability
- Collect data on research related to sustainability conducted on campus
- Survey co-curricular programs (internship programs, public events, educational programs, etc) to collect data for STARS
- Create databases of collected data
- Analyze databases of data on courses and research related to sustainability
- Prepare data for submission to the STARS database
- Write descriptions of sustainable courses and research related to sustainability
- Excited about data collection and management
- Interested in engaging in open dialogue about what should count as a “sustainability” course given that this term can mean so many things
- Strong writing and editing skills.
- Strong note-taking skills.
- Strong professional communication skills.
- Possesses a broad interest in integrating sustainability into academics.
- Must be able to work 10-12hrs/week.
Preferred, but Not Required or Expected:
- Proficient in reading published academic articles in scientific journals.
- Proficiency with technical writing.
Please read these instructions carefully. Any applicants that do not follow the instructions will not be eligible for the paid or unpaid positions.
All applicants must submit the required three documents (see below) by October 2nd, 2015 to be considered. All documents must be in Microsoft Word or Adobe PDF. Documents in pages, text, or any other format will not be considered. Documents should be sent to: firstname.lastname@example.org .
The required three documents include:
- Cover Letter (Check out Career Services’ tips on writing cover letters and résumés).
- Resume (Check out Career Services’ résumés and cover letters)
- Fall Class Schedule (Tentative schedule is fine).
UCSB Career Services offers support and advising in writing cover letters and résumés. Please consider taking advantage of their generous services, especially if this is the first time you have written a résumé or cover letter.
Please ensure that when you submit your two documents the subject line of your email and your email body indicate clearly that you are applying for the “STARS Assessment” Internship.
If you have any questions about the program, position(s), other internship opportunities, or the application process, please contact Katie Maynard email@example.com 805-448-5111. Please make sure you have read through the posting thoroughly before contacting Katie.
You can also read about our other currently available internships at: http://www.sustainability.ucsb.edu/internship-opportunities-ucsb-sustainability/