Healthy Campus Network
Take the Stairs Program
Due Date: Primary consideration given for students that apply by October 3rd.
Wages: $14/hr.; Must be either Work study or eligible for the Monarch Scholarship/Internship Program. For Monarch Scholars, please contact email@example.com for more details on the alternative version of this internship that is available for Monarch Scholars.
Hours: 8-10 hrs./week
Start date: Mid-October
Commitment dates: Fall 2018 through Spring 2019
Primary Department: UCSB Sustainability
The UCSB Healthy Campus Network seeks a student intern to be the project manager for and to publicize our Take the Stairs Program. The Take the Stairs Program was inspired by UCLA’s Stairwell Program. In 2017-2018, UCSB installed two murals in Webb Hall and sculptures in four locations. In 2018-2019,m we hope to develop at least two more murals. The selected student will work with building occupants and muralists to identify stairwells that would be a good match for murals, be tabling by elevators to encourage people to take the stairs, running a pledge campaign to encourage people to take the stairs, hanging signage, giving brief presentations on the program, distributing maps of the art work around campus, collecting data on stair use, and documenting the success of the program.
- Develop language for promotional materials to encourage the use of stairwells;
- Organize tabling and events near stairwells to raise awareness about stairwell use for health and environmental benefits;
- Actively engage building occupants to encourage them use stairwells (tabling and presentations);
- Develop reports documenting approaches and strategies used in the stairwell campaign;
- Communicate regularly with HCN statewide leads to update them on our progress on the Take the Stairs Campaign. Quarterly reports will need to be drafted;
- Develop metrics and track data on the success of each stairwell campaign effort;
- Engage the physical health sub-committee and local steering committee of the HCN in supporting the take the stairs campaign;
- Recruit volunteers and student organization leaders to help promote the stairwell campaign;
- Check meters where we collect data on stairway use and document outcomes (this will often by at 8am, so you must be a morning person);
- Run a pledge campaign to encourage use of stairwell;
- Create social media posts regarding the take the stairs campaign;
- Be the project manager for this initiative. Developing timelines, creating relationships with partners, recruiting muralists, guiding the project through campus approval and more!
- Comfortable using Facebook and Instagram;
- Professional and clear communicator;
- Engaging writer who is able to tell a cohesive and exciting story about our work;
- Detail oriented;
- Openness to early morning (8am) data collection on some days and classes permitting;
- Personable and comfortable with public outreach;
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills;
- Diplomatic and openness to consider multiple perspectives on a given issue; and
- Good at time management.
- Familiarity with health and wellness issues.
Please read all of the instructions for this program and the job posting carefully in order to ensure that you have the best chance of being selected. Submit a resume, cover letter, and Fall class schedule to Katie Maynard firstname.lastname@example.org by the application deadline at the top of this posting.
UCSB Career Services offers support and advising in writing résumés. Please consider taking advantage of their generous services, especially if this is the first time you have written a résumé.
Please ensure that when you apply the subject line of your email and your email body indicate clearly that you are applying for the “HCN – Take the Stairs Intern”. We have several positions currently open ranging across multiple programs.
For More Information
Please email Katie Maynard, email@example.com after having read the above information thoroughly.
Please also note that we have several other positions available as well, please see the full list at: http://www.sustainability.ucsb.edu/internship-opportunities-ucsb-sustainability/.