Healthy Campus Network
Take the Stairs Program
This position is currently closed. Please visit: http://www.sustainability.ucsb.edu/internship-opportunities-ucsb-sustainability/ to see our currently open positions
Hours: 10-15 hrs./week
Start date: Immediate
Applications due: April 9th, 2018
The UCSB Healthy Campus Network seeks a student intern to publicize our Take the Stairs Program and to help with broad promotion and outreach for the Healthy Campus Network. The Take the Stairs Program was inspired by UCLA’s Stairwell Program. This year, each of the UC campuses are launching a take the stairs campaign and will be working in close coordination with each other. At UCSB we installed two murals in Webb Hall and sculptures in four locations. We are also running a take the stairs signage campaign in San Nicholas Residence Hall in Spring 2018. The selected student will be tabling by elevators to encourage people to take the stairs, running a pledge campaign to encourage people to take the stairs, hanging signage, giving brief presentations on the program, distributing maps of the art work around campus, collecting data on stair use, and documenting the success of the program.
- Develop language for promotional materials to encourage the use of stairwells;
- Organize tabling and events near stairwells to raise awareness about stairwell use for health and environmental benefits;
- Actively engage building occupants to encourage them use stairwells (tabling and presentations);
- Develop reports documenting approaches and strategies used in the stairwell campaign;
- Communicate regularly with HCN statewide leads to update them on our progress on the Take the Stairs Campaign. Quarterly reports will need to be drafted;
- Develop metrics and track data on the success of each stairwell campaign effort;
- Engage the physical health sub-committee and local steering committee of the HCN in supporting the take the stairs campaign;
- Recruit volunteers and student organization leaders to help promote the stairwell campaign;
- Check meters where we collect data on stairway use and document outcomes;
- Run a pledge campaign to encourage use of stairwell; and
- Create social media posts regarding the take the stairs campaign.
- Comfortable using Facebook and Instagram;
- Professional and clear communicator;
- Engaging writer who is able to tell a cohesive and exciting story about our work;
- Detail oriented;
- Personable and comfortable with public outreach;
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills;
- Diplomatic and openness to consider multiple perspectives on a given issue; and
- Good at time management.
- Familiarity with evaluating, tracking data, and/or reporting on programs;
- Ability to check stairwell meters at 8am on some weekday mornings (currently this is done by our other intern on this program and it would be nice if she could split this work load with another student); and
- Familiarity with health and wellness issues.
Please read all of the instructions for this program and the job posting carefully in order to ensure that you have the best chance of being selected. Submit a resume and cover letter describing your interest in the position to Katie Maynard firstname.lastname@example.org by the application deadline at the top of this posting.
UCSB Career Services offers support and advising in writing résumés. Please consider taking advantage of their generous services, especially if this is the first time you have written a résumé.
Please ensure that when you apply the subject line of your email and your email body indicate clearly that you are applying for the “HCN – Take the Stairs Intern”. We have several positions currently open ranging across multiple programs.
For More Information
Please email Katie Maynard, email@example.com after having read the above information thoroughly.
Please also note that we have several other positions available as well, please see the full list at: http://www.sustainability.ucsb.edu/internship-opportunities-ucsb-sustainability/.