2018-2019 UC Global Food Initiative
Application Deadline: June 8th, 2018
*Recommendation letters can be accepted after June 8th if other materials are submitted by the deadline. Letters can be sent directly from the sender to: email@example.com.
Hours Per Week: 10-12 hrs.
Preferred start date:Fall 2018
Commitment date: Must be available to participate through June 2019
Primary Department: UCSB Sustainability
President Napolitano has allocated funding to the University of California campuses to hire one student to engage their peers in issues of food sustainability, food insecurity, and food justice as well as the UC Global Food Initiative (UCGFI) as a whole. The GFI Student Ambassador role formed in response to a need for increased student engagement in the UC Global Food Initiative (UCGFI) both systemwide and at the campus level. This is an exciting opportunity for students to become part of a statewide sustainable food movement.
Project funding of $500 will also be available to the student selected.
This position is broadly tasked with raising awareness of the UC Global Food Initiative (UC GFI) especially among students, ensuring that the student perspective is heard on food systems issues, and that students are meaningfully engaged in the UC GFI. There are many ways that a selected ambassador could approach these tasks and students are encouraged to exercise their own creativity and initiative. Some more specific tasks may include:
- Empower fellow students to become campus leaders.
- Provide information to the UC GFI Leadership team about the progress of student engagement efforts, student feedback, and needs on campuses.
- Raise awareness broadly across campus about issues of food sustainability, food security, and food justice.
- Support UCSB Health and Wellness to maintain the “food.ucsb.edu” website
- Promote student awareness of the Global Food Initiative and campus student fellow projects.
- Network and/or help assist with publicizing campus events related to GFI activities.
- Develop activities in partnership with other groups on campus for World Food Day and Earth Day.
- Support efforts to roll-out outcomes from GFI Working Groups.
- Support student engagement in the UC Global Food Initiative Coalition, Food Security Taskforce, the Food Security Coalition, and the Healthy Campus Network at UCSB.
- Facilitate collaborations between student organizations and the UC Global Food Initiative.
- Serve on the Food Security Communications Team.
- Participate in Food Security Coalition Meetings.
- Join monthly Ambassador systemwide conference calls.
- Attend in person GFI leadership meetings.
- Participate in UC Global Food Initiative Coalition Meetings.
- Submit quarterly updates, along with other GFI working group leaders, sharing the status of engagement efforts.
- Provide student feedback and communicate campus needs and opportunities.
- Offer guidance on advancing campus-based student engagement in the GFI.
Students will have an opportunity for occasional travel to meet students from other campuses; travel costs are typically covered by UCOP for such events.
- Professional written and verbal communication skills.
- Demonstrated experience/knowledge of food security or sustainable food systems.
- Be an undergraduate student in the 2018-2019 academic year at UCSB.
- Have a GPA of 3.0 or higher.
Please read all of the instructions for this program and the job posting carefully in order to ensure that you have the best chance of being selected. Submit the following documents by the deadline at the top of this posting:
- A resume (please no C.V.s)
- Cover letter
- An unofficial transcript from UCSB
- Recommendation letter
- This could be from any staff, faculty, TA, or past supervisor that you have worked with.
UCSB Career Services offers support and advising in writing résumés and cover letters. Please consider taking advantage of their generous services, especially if this is the first time you have written a résumé or cover letter.
Please ensure that when you apply the subject line of your email and your email body indicate clearly that you are applying for the “GFI – Ambassador Position”. We have several positions currently open ranging across multiple programs.
For More Information
Please email Katie Maynard, firstname.lastname@example.org after having read the above information thoroughly.
More internship opportunities available at: http://www.sustainability.ucsb.edu/internship-opportunities-ucsb-sustainability/