2017-2018 UC Carbon Neutrality Initiative
Student Engagement Ambassador/Intern
Due Date: April 24th, 2017
Hours Per Week: 10-12 Hrs.
Preferred start date: Fall 2017
Commitment date: Must be available to participate through June 2018
Primary Department: UCSB Sustainability
Work-study students are encouraged to apply, though participation in the work-study program is not a requirement for applicants. We realize that most students will not be certain if they are work-study eligible until later in the summer. More information on work-study here.
President Napolitano has allocated funding to the University of California campuses to hire a student at each campus to build student leadership and engagement in the UC Carbon Neutrality Initiative. This is an exciting opportunity for students to be a part of a statewide movement and to effect UC policy and practices!
the selected intern is expected to work with campus staff, student groups, and faculty to improve communication with the student body about campus and system-wide carbon neutrality goals and opportunities for undergraduate and graduate student involvement in those goals. Additionally, the intern will assess existing programs and efforts; seek to engage undergraduate and graduate students in those efforts; and empower students to provide feedback about campus and UC-wide sustainability programs. Students are encouraged to bring in their own perspectives and ideas to the position. As a student, we are excited to hear from you about the best ways to engage other students.
In addition to the focus on campus-specific activities and programs, each intern is expected to participate in a UC system-wide discussion and communication process. This process will be facilitated and overseen by the student representatives to the Global Climate Leadership Council (GCLC). The student representatives will convene regular meetings with interns from all campuses in order to:
- Share information and experiences between campus interns
- Empower students to become campus leaders
- Provide information to the Global Climate Leadership Council’s Student Engagement Working Group about the progress of student engagement efforts, student feedback, and needs on campuses
- Learn about UC climate and sustainability programs, policies, and opportunities to advance the goals of student engagement in the Carbon Neutrality Initiative and other sustainability programs
- Collaborate with leaders from the California State University System. Meetings with interns will include at least one representative from the CSU system. This will enable both systems to learn from each other’s successes and failures.
Campus interns are required to regularly contribute to the GCLC Student Representative Blog and other student engagement communication platforms maintained by the GCLC student representatives.
This position also comes with a $1,000 project budget (in addition to wages noted above).
Students will have an opportunity for occasional travel to meet students from other campuses; travel costs are typically covered by UCOP for such events.
Please read all of the instructions for this program and the job posting carefully in order to ensure that you have the best chance of being selected. Submit the following documents by the deadline at the top of this posting:
- A resume (please no C.V.s)
- Cover letter
- An unofficial transcript from UCSB
- Recommendation letter
- This could be from any staff, faculty, TA, or past supervisor that you have worked with.
UCSB Career Services offers support and advising in writing résumés and cover letters. Please consider taking advantage of their generous services, especially if this is the first time you have written a résumé or cover letter.
Please ensure that when you apply the subject line of your email and your email body indicate clearly that you are applying for the “CNI – Ambassador Position”. We have several positions currently open ranging across multiple programs.
For More Information
Please email Katie Maynard, email@example.com after having read the above information thoroughly.
More internship opportunities available at: http://www.sustainability.ucsb.edu/internship-opportunities-ucsb-sustainability/