2018-2019 UC Carbon Neutrality Initiative
Student Engagement Ambassador/Intern
Due Date: June 8th, 2018
*Recommendation letters can be accepted after June 8th if other materials are submitted by the deadline. Letters can be sent directly from the sender to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Hours Per Week: 12-15 Hrs.
Preferred start date: Summer 2018 (Fall 2018 could be possible though)
Commitment date: Must be available to participate through June 2019
Primary Department: UCSB Sustainability
Work-study students are encouraged to apply, though participation in the work-study program is not a requirement for applicants. We realize that most students will not be certain if they are work-study eligible until later in the summer. More information on work-study here.
President Napolitano has allocated funding to the University of California campuses to hire a student at each campus to build student leadership and engagement in the UC Carbon Neutrality Initiative. This is an exciting opportunity for students to be a part of a statewide movement and to effect UC policy and practices!
The selected intern is expected to work with campus staff, student groups, and faculty to improve communication with the student body about campus and system-wide carbon neutrality goals and opportunities for undergraduate and graduate student involvement in those goals. Additionally, the intern will assess existing programs and efforts; seek to engage undergraduate and graduate students in those efforts; and empower students to provide feedback about campus and UC-wide sustainability programs. Students are encouraged to bring in their own perspectives and ideas to the position. As a student, we are excited to hear from you about the best ways to engage other students.
- Empower fellow students to become campus leaders.
- Provide information to the UC CNI Leadership team about the progress of student engagement efforts, student feedback, and needs on campuses.
- Raise awareness broadly across campus about issues of climate change and climate justice.
- Promote student awareness of the Carbon Neutrality Initiative and campus student fellow projects.
- Network and/or help assist with publicizing campus events related to CNI activities.
- Develop activities in partnership with other groups on campus for Earth Day.
- Support efforts to roll-out outcomes from CNI working groups.
- Contribute to the GCLC Student Representative Blog
- Engage fellow students through social media. Must have or be willing to set up social media accounts.
- Help promote the Cool Campus Challenge.https://www.coolcampuschallenge.org/
- Support student engagement in the Chancellor’s Sustainability Committee Sub-Committee on Energy and Climate.
- Facilitate a campus climate coalition of student groups working on climate issues.
- Facilitate collaborations between student organizations and the UC Carbon Neutrality Initiative broadly speaking.
- Serve on the Sustainability Communications Team.
- Participate in ECOalition Meetings.
- Join monthly Ambassador systemwide conference calls.
- Attend in person CNI fellow meetings.
- Submit quarterly updates, along with other CNI working group leaders, sharing the status of engagement efforts.
- Provide student feedback and communicate campus needs and opportunities.
- Offer guidance on advancing campus-based student engagement in the CNI.
This position also comes with a $500 project budget (in addition to wages noted above).
Students will have an opportunity for occasional travel to meet students from other campuses; travel costs are typically covered by UCOP for such events.
Please read all of the instructions for this program and the job posting carefully in order to ensure that you have the best chance of being selected. Submit the following documents by the deadline at the top of this posting:
- A resume (please no C.V.s)
- Cover letter
- An unofficial transcript from UCSB
- Recommendation letter
- This could be from any staff, faculty, TA, or past supervisor that you have worked with.
UCSB Career Services offers support and advising in writing résumés and cover letters. Please consider taking advantage of their generous services, especially if this is the first time you have written a résumé or cover letter.
Please ensure that when you apply the subject line of your email and your email body indicate clearly that you are applying for the “CNI – Ambassador Position”. We have several positions currently open ranging across multiple programs.
For More Information
Please email Katie Maynard, email@example.com after having read the above information thoroughly.
More internship opportunities available at: http://www.sustainability.ucsb.edu/internship-opportunities-ucsb-sustainability/