Measures of Success
- 47% of departments have at least one researcher who works on sustainability
- 50% of departments at UCSB have at least one course related to or focused on sustainability
- Our Strategic Academic Plan for 2007-2025 names the environment, global studies, and the academy and society as three of the four key areas of interdisciplinary teaching and research which UCSB will prioritize
- Signatory of the Talloires Declaration
- Signatory of the American College and University Presidents’ Climate Commitment
Ongoing Practices and Programs
- Home to the first undergraduate environmental studies programs in the U.S. featuring a multidisciplinary approach to understanding environmental issues. Today, UC Santa Barbara’s Environmental Studies Program is the largest program of its type in the country, with over 300 undergraduates, more than 20 faculty and lecturers, and over 4,000 alumni.
- Literature and the Environment Program
- Bren School of Environmental Science & Management, an interdisciplinary graduate program and professional school, offering both a Masters and a PhD in environmental science and management.
- New Leaf Grant Program
- Research Centers
- Sustainability Champion Program
- Chancellor’s Sustainability Internship Program
- Proposed Interdisciplinary PhD Emphasis on the Environment (Please contact kmaynard (at) geog.ucsb.edu for a copy of the current proposal)
- Proposed General Education Requirement on the Environment